[scilab-Users] Re: scilab on Ubuntu 11.10

Charles Warner cwarner.cw711 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 22:40:21 CET 2011

Just gave chroot a try- works nicely, but my system won't let me run a
second X server, which seems to limit the second root to command line
only.  Useful, but not much imporvement over my reboot approach.  Note that
I can access files on either system from whatever system is active...I
could run Scilab from the command line on the new root, but, since Scilab
comes installed and configured on my preferred distro, I really have no
need to do this.

What I use the dual boot system for primarily is to have an "experimental"
system where I can try out new software, check for conflicts, etc. before
adding it to my "working" system.  As time goes on, my "experimental"
system starts looking more like my "working" system- when it seems stable
enough, and has all the critical functions I need, I then start using it as
the "working" system, and the old system is discarded and a new base distro
can be explored without causing problems.  This also gives me the chance to
evaluate new releases of projects like Scilab without losing my existing
capabilities.

The conflict between the libgl versions that I encountered actually
occurred when trying to run Dassault Systemes' DraftSight2 (latest release)
on the same platform as Salome.  Not being to fond of the idea of rebooting
to switch between systems to resolve library conflicts, and the fact that
an older version of DraftSight2 plays nicely with Salome, and the fact that
Salome is by far the more important package, Salome wins.  I am not sure I
could easily make the same choice with Scilab requiring a different library
version- although rebooting to run Scilab is not nearly as unpalatable as
the other two, since I seldom, if ever, need to run Scilab when I am
running Salome.  The question is, are ther atoms that rely on one version
of the libgl library while other atoms rely on the other version?

This is a conflict I have never encountered on Linux before, but, I suspect
that, with the "desktop wars" between Gnome 3 and Unity running rampant, I
suspect we can look for more such conflicts in the future...

Charlie