[scilab-Users] Parallel execution

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Tue Nov 22 00:58:31 CET 2011

Hello Christian,

Le mercredi 16 novembre 2011 à 17:34 +0100, Christian Wohlschlager a
écrit :
> Hi !
>

> I want to use scilab on my SGI UV 1000  with 2000 Cores ,i download it
> (the binary version)  everything ok, the parallel option seems ??? to
> be installed so i try it but while i monitor the cpu i coudn't find
> out that scilab is using more than 1 CPU.
[..]

It depends what you want to do.
Scilab has several ways to use this kind of architecture:
* As Samuel said, parallel_run is one way [0]
* Under Linux, we do no ship with MKL, Gotoblas neither Atlas (but with
a very slow refblas). If you switch to one of them you will get both
great performances and all core being used during matrix computations.
* GPGPU: you can give a try to our GPGPU extensions (don't hesitate if
you have any feedback). [1]
* If you are more into grid/cloud computing, you can give a try to proactive
[2]
* In Scilab, even it is a bit outdated, you will find a PVM interface [3].
* Finally, if you are familiar on the build process of an linux application,
you can try with the MPI implementation of Scilab (in the git branch "MPI")

Hope this helps,
Sylvestre
[0] http://help.scilab.org/parallel_run
[1] http://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/sciGPGPU