Parallel execution

christian.wohlschlager@jku.at Christian.Wohlschlager at jku.at
Tue Nov 22 08:19:30 CET 2011

** Reply Requested When Convenient **

Dear Sylvestre !

Thank you for the reply I'm using scilab on a SGI UV 1000 with 2000
cores
I try the example programm  with no params that's why i chrashed , yes
ok, but how can i prevent the users to do the sane as i did . Currently
i try with limit maxproec 128  (not 16 000 as default parameter)  on the
command line.I didnt test it right now becouse i have to be sure that
nobody is on the machine exept me otherwise :-( my boss will cut me into
pieces.
Do you have aby other sussestion ??

thank you

Christian

Christian Wohlschlager
JKU Universität Linz
Altenbergerstr.69
4040 Linz
Austria

>>> "sylvestre [via Scilab / Xcos - Mailing Lists Archives]"
<ml-node+s994242n3526453h7 at n3.nabble.com> 11/22/2011 12:59 AM >>>
Hello Christian,

Le mercredi 16 novembre 2011 Ã 17:34 +0100, Christian Wohlschlager a
écrit :
> Hi !
>

> I want to use scilab on my SGI UV 1000  with 2000 Cores ,i download
it
> (the binary version)  everything ok, the parallel option seems ???
> be installed so i try it but while i monitor the cpu i coudn't find
> out that scilab is using more than 1 CPU.
[..]

It depends what you want to do.
Scilab has several ways to use this kind of architecture:
* As Samuel said, parallel_run is one way [0]
* Under Linux, we do no ship with MKL, Gotoblas neither Atlas (but
with
a very slow refblas). If you switch to one of them you will get both
great performances and all core being used during matrix computations.
* GPGPU: you can give a try to our GPGPU extensions (don't hesitate if
you have any feedback). [1]
* If you are more into grid/cloud computing, you can give a try to
proactive
[2]
* In Scilab, even it is a bit outdated, you will find a PVM interface
[3].
* Finally, if you are familiar on the build process of an linux
application,
you can try with the MPI implementation of Scilab (in the git branch
"MPI")

Hope this helps,

Sylvestre

[0] http://help.scilab.org/parallel_run
[1] http://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/sciGPGPU
[2] http://proactive.inria.fr/
[3] http://help.scilab.org/pvm

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the
discussion below:

To unsubscribe from Parallel execution, click here (
http://mailinglists.scilab.org/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsubscribe_by_code&node=3513234&code=Q2hyaXN0aWFuLldvaGxzY2hsYWdlckBqa3UuYXR8MzUxMzIzNHwtMTkxOTc1OTU3Nw==
).
NAML (
http://mailinglists.scilab.org/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.InstantMailNamespace&breadcrumbs=instant+emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml
)