[scilab-Users] Require Technical support for SCILAB

Charles Warner cwarner.cw711 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 15:37:16 CEST 2012

1.  What operating system are you using?  This can make a significant
difference.  Linux is much easier than other operating systems for
interfacing to instrumentation than other operating systems, essentially
because you read and write to a comm port (RS 232 or other) exactly like
you read and write a file.
2.  What instrument are you trying to read?  Do you have adequate
documentation on the software interface for the instrument?  Not all Modbus
instruments are truly standards-consistent- many manufacturers "customize"
their implementation of the Modbus standard.
3.  Are you communicating with the instrumentation outside of Scilab?  Most
instrumentation manufacturers provide software for accessing their
instruments, with proprietary drivers which make it extremely difficult to
use the instrumentation with other software.  I never understood the logic
of this approach, but it is a fact of life.

First step is to determine if your issue is with communcations, or with
interfacing to Scilab.

If you are using Linux, the first step would be to insure you are
communicating with the instrument.  You will need the following information:

     -Port ID
     -Port parameters (baud rate, data bits, parity, number of stop bits,
handshake protocol)
     -Instrumentation command set (this assumes a query/response interface-
write a query command to the instrument and read the
      return message)

To establish communications with the instrumentation, I have found two
Linux tools quite useful:  sjinn (http://sjinn.sourceforge.net/), a command
line tool very simple to use for simple logging tasks; CuteCom (
http://cutecom.sourceforge.net/) which provides a very intuitive GUI
interface for working with serial interfaces (similar to but more user
friendly than Microsoft's Terminal program); and qtDMM (
http://www.mtoussaint.de/qtdmm.html), a stand-alone GUI for reading a
number of different digital multimeters.

Once you are sure you have communications with the instrumentation, you
should have all the tools necessary in the Serial Communications Toolbox to
implement the communications protocol from within Scilab (or you have the
option of calling an external
tool from within Scilab based on these other tools).

Charlie