[Scilab-users] Performance issue with mget on inhomogeneous binary file

phil_shvarcz phil.shvarcz at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 16:04:18 CET 2012

Hi Serge,

thank you for the quick answer!

> You forgot it?

hmm didn't the code appear? it was

<...>
finf=fileinfo(filename);
bytes=finf(1);
vt=zeros(bytes/6,1);
vc=zeros(bytes/6,1);

fd=mopen(filename);
i=0;
tic();
while ~(meof(fd))
    i=i+1;
    vc(i)=mget(1,'f',fd);
    vt(i)=mget(1,'d',fd);
end
printf('%i records in %d seconds',i,toc());

for the word-by-word case and

<...>
tic();
fd=mopen(filename);
vb=mget(bytes/4,'f',fd);
mclose(fd);
printf('%i bytes in %d seconds',bytes,toc());

for the one-step case.

> I do not know the mread function. Whre do you find it?
of course I meant "mget" and not "mread". See how new I am to scilab ;)

I tried your proposed solution. Is it possible that there's a bug in the
following line?
> I=(2:3)'.*.ones(1,N/2)+(0:3:3*N-3).*.ones(2,1);
I get an error message "inconsistent addition" or something like that.
The summands seem to be matrices of different dimensions.

Thanks again
regards
Phil