Graphics issues

Stefan Du Rietz sdr at durietz.se
Fri Jan 20 19:45:57 CET 2012

Of course, I am grateful for all the tools in Scilab and ScicosLab! ;-)

Because I cannot use the Scilab versions from 5... (my ATI graphics
card...), these comments are valid for ScicosLab (but I know that some
are also valid for Scilab).

Why is the graphics handling so bad?

In an(!) axes, if the x axis is much longer than the y axis, the tick
marks at the y axis are much longer than the tick marks at the x axis
(hardly visible)? So the tick_labels are far from the y_axis while the
tick_labels are extremely close to the x axis.

In Linux (Ubuntu, with graphics worse than in Windows):

- the fonts in a graphics window are very bad (not anti-aliased)
- it is not possible to make a line with 1 pixel followed by a space
of 2 pixels (I have tried many options...) which is possible with
ImageMagick!
- the export functions are very bad:
   1. GIF: the y label does not get 90 degrees rotation and all text
gets smaller (and still in the bad format)
   2. EPS: the y label is badly positioned

If anyone could direct me to where these issues (and the format of
dashed lines) are handled in the source code (so I could fix them
myself), I should be very grateful.

Regards
Stefan