[Scilab-users] On the needs of a Scilab Vectorization Oriented Help

michael.baudin at contrib.scilab.org michael.baudin at contrib.scilab.org
Tue Nov 27 10:20:02 CET 2012

Hi,

I feel that vectorization cannot be completely covered in a
typical 2-pages document that we could find in Scilab's help.
This is because the "vectorization" problem is contained in a
more general "performance" topic, which is beyond vectorization.

For example, it is much more efficient to use
the backslash operator combined with an optimized linear
algebra library such as the Intel MKL (or ATLAS), than to use a
user-defined vectorized Gaussian elimination algorithm.
There is also the problem of measuring the performance,
profiling a function, etc...

On the other hand, the section 5 of "Programming in Scilab"
focuses on performance and presents the most common vectorization
principles:

http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/docprogscilab/downloads/

It is an open-source document, so feel free to comment it,
or to contribute.

Best regards,

Michaël