[Scilab-users] non access to sci files

Antoine Monmayrant antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr
Thu Apr 11 16:45:03 CEST 2013

On 11/04/2013 16:23, Adrien Vogt-Schilb wrote:
> On 11/04/2013 11:15, Carrico, Paul wrote:
>> Dear All,
>> I know it's not possible to encrypt a Scilab .sci file so far ; I
>> want to deny reading but I want to allow execution ...
>> Does somebody has a trick ?
>> (creating a binary file, include it in a C file, etc. ...I've don't know)
>> Paul
> Dear Paul,
>
> No trick will be never possible. The user can always use fun2string to
> display the source code of any function that Scilab can execute after
> reading it from a .sci file. You cannot prevent Scilab for doing so.
> Scilab can be executed in a mode where it displays each line of code
> before executing it.
> The user can also modify Scilab source code to get Scilab display
> whatever Scilab is allow to read. If Scilab can execute it, Scilab can
> display it. This is completely unavoidable.

Well, it's not completely true: what you say applies to macros, not to C
(or Fortran) native functions (that is, compiled and linked).
You can translate all your code to C and write the proper wrapper to use
it like a native scilab function and compile it and then remove the sources.
I think this should work but I don't know if it worths the effort.

Antoine
(and if you distribute it, are you still in agreement with scilab open
licence your binary blob with no source?)