[Scilab-users] Scilab Lessons

Gary Nelson porpoiseseeker at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 08:10:06 CEST 2013

I too am a beginner. I regret that what you ask is a pretty big undertaking and my project demands most of my time.  I can tell you how I learned.

I bought a book called "Modeling and Simulation in Scilab/Scicos" and followed the examples in much of the book.  I found a couple good tutorials by [ google (scilab tutorial) ].

Then, the scilab list is invaluable.

Figure out how to get Scinotes activated, as that is the builtin editor in which you write all the code.

There are many good examples in the tutorials to get you started like make a sine wave and plot it. Change the frequency and plot that, etc. Then make the making of a sine wave into a function and call the function and plot what returns.

The language syntax takes a while to understand and that book is essential. Scilab is fundamentally about linear algebra, vectors, matrices and so it is essential to understand row and column vectors, as multiplication of two variables requires that one be a row, the other a column --   row times column = number; column time row => matrix.  It took me quite a while to learn what error 10 improper multiply meant.  If you try to multiply two vectors element by element and not as a vector operation, you write   a .*b  and not   a*b.  Element multiply is encoded   .*       If a and b are both row vectors, then this is legal    a*b'     which says b' is the transpose of b and thus is a column.

Post your questions to the list as they are just great with help.

Good luck and I'll respond as I am able on the list

Gary Nelson
porpoiseseeker at gmail.com