[Scilab-users] What is a valid function name in Scilab?

Antoine Monmayrant antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr
Tue Apr 16 10:08:12 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

I just lost a couple of hours trying to figure out what was wrong with a
function I just wrote that seemed perfectly fine but could not be
interpreted by scilab.
I finally understood that you cannot define a function with a name that
starts with a number.
The problem is that the error reported is not helpful at all ("Incorrect
function at line 1.") and that neither 'help function' nor 'help
functions' clearly indicates this limitation.
I think I'll report a bug for that, but before doing so I would like to
know if any of you knows exactly what are the limitations for the name
of user define functions in Scilab and where this information can be
found in the documentation.

Thanks in advance,

Antoine