[Scilab-users] Scilab console, xwindows -- plotting kills console keyboard

shorne at energetiq.com shorne at energetiq.com
Tue Aug 6 16:09:51 CEST 2013

I work in a windows environment.(xp)   I usually use scilab on a linux
computer, with display set to the windows
box via the cygwin xserver.  I have used this configuration happily with
scilab 4.0.  Never an issue.

Open a cygwin xterminal on the xp box
log into linux box with ssh -Y in that xterminal
type "scilab" into the xterminal
All works well.  The linux box runs an old version of mandrake
 uname -a
Linux dataserver.energetiq.com 2.6.11-6mdk #1 Tue Mar 22 16:04:32 CET 2005
i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz unknown GNU/Linux
I have used this scheme for years, running "production" code for data
analysis.

Recently I decided to upgrade the linux machine to a more modern
distribution -- Mint Debian.
$ uname -a
Linux dataserver1 3.8.0-19-generic #29-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 17 18:19:42 UTC
2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

I installed  scilab 5.x - to get access to some of the newer atoms
toolboxes.
I should say this is the debian scilab installed via apt-get.

$ scilab -version
Scilab version "5.4.1.1364571296"
scilab-5.4.1

Now, if I start up scilab, the fancy new console comes up and works until
I plot once.  Or do anything to bring up a plot window. (eg, demo

After that I can no longer type into the console.  cut/paste with the
mouse works; but keyboard is dead,
when typing into the scilab window.  Works fine on all other xterms.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,
Steve