[Scilab-users] Scilab console, xwindows -- plotting kills console keyboard

shorne at energetiq.com shorne at energetiq.com
Wed Aug 7 18:59:09 CEST 2013

RE the bug described below..

I can't run precisely through the sequence you recommend -
but I did discover this -

The problem is related to the scilab console loosing focus.
To produce the bug all I need to do is click outside the
console window.  Normally, the 4 separate  windows in the console - when
you click
inside any of them, the title bar turns black, indicating the location of
keyboard focus.
I can click from pane to pane and see the title turn black.

But if I click once outside the console (to this email, for instance)
then I cannot get keyboard focus back to scilab.
The main scilab window (Scilab 5.4.1 Console) lights up to indicate focus,
but the individual panes don't get focus when I click in them.

The -->| vertical cursor still blinks, if that helps..

I also tried capturing the scilab session within a separate xserver:.  I
tried xnest, but this worked better...

Xephyr :1 -screen 1000x1000 &
xterm  -display :1 -e "/home/shorne/src/scilab-5.4.1/bin/scilab"

This required usecanvas(%T) but otherwise
worked fine.  Focus could be moved around at will without getting lost.
(This was the minimal case.  I tried first running a window manager in the
display - that worked fine as well.)

  Oddly, plotting seemed faster.

Hope this helps find the bug -

Steve

Antoine Monmayrant <antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr>
Sent by: users-bounces at lists.scilab.org
08/06/2013 01:02 PM
Please respond to
antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr; Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [Scilab-users] Scilab console, xwindows -- plotting kills console
keyboard

His Steve,

I think you need to run a couple of tests to see where the problem comes
from.
Here is what I propose:

1) Write the smallest script that raises the issue: like a script with
just "scf()" or "plot()" then some other commands.
2) Try to run this script locally on the linux box to see if the problem
is still present. If not this means your problem is linked with the remote
use of scilab.
2bis) If the problem is due to the remote connection, try to run scilab
remotely from another linux box (to rule out cygwin as a possible cause).
3) Try to run remotely scilab -nw (to avoid the fancy console as you call
it). See if you script still causes an issue.
4) Try to run the last official version of scilab and also maybe the last
nightly build of the master branch to see if the issue is still there.
5) Report on your progress here and we'll try to see whether it's a scilab
bug, a debian bug or something else.

Antoine