[Scilab-users] Error with BER curve with SISO system

Serge Steer Serge.Steer at inria.fr
Sun Aug 18 22:37:45 CEST 2013

I detected at least two mistakes in your code:
- you do not use xa in the noise computation so the noise level is not used
-  the instruction
    error=bitxor(uint8(data(k1)),uint8(data_detect(k1)));ry slow
    uses k1 outside of the loop so k1=N
Moreover bitxor is very slow. it should be better to use

  bers(index)=size(find(data<>data_detect),"*")/N;
For an efficient computation of data_detect you can use find:

   data_detect=zeros(1,N);
   data_detect(real(y)>=0)=1;

Finally you can give a look at the Matlab/Octave function given at
http://www.dsplog.com/db-install/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/scriptbpsk_ber.m

Serge Steer
INRIA