[Scilab-users] Loading functions in Scilab

amiege arnaud.miege at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 13:08:20 CET 2013

Hi,

I have started writing my own functions in Scilab (using 5.4.0), and having
used MATLAB for many years, I assumed that once the function is written and
saved into a file, all I had to do was call that function with the right
syntax. However, I kept getting the error message

with the function name at the end. It took me at least an hour to figure out
that the function has to be loaded into Scilab with the exec function before
it can be called. My question is why? Imagine you had tens, hundreds or even
thousands of functions (I am used to the good practice of writing one file
per function). Do you have to load each one in turn every time you start
Scilab? This seems crazy... I'm relatively new to Scilab so apologies if
this is obvious or has been discussed before.

Thanks,

Arnaud