[Scilab-users] Problem with ATOMS

René Grognard dositheus41 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 22:54:26 CET 2013

In my professional work I had access and used MATLAB for many years.
Now retired I have to switch to some free/less expensive equivalent
software and I just downloaded Scilab that seems to offer more
toolboxes.

However ATOMS does not seem to work.

My PC is a HP ProBook 4730s running Windows 7. (Cygwin 1.7 is
installed and coud be used to run WScilex.exe.)

When I started Scilab-5.4.0 all appeared to be well:

Startup execution:
 -->atomsSetConfig('Verbose','True')
 ans  =
    1.
-->atomsGetConfig()
 ans  =
   downloadTool: "curl"
   Verbose: "True"

The  window Main categories - ATOMS was functional and allowed me to
install say the Plotting library particularly promising to a MATLAB
ex-user --- I get the message:

Installation done! Please restart Scilab to take changes into account.

OK restarting:

Startup execution:

Start plotlib toolbox 0.43
Load macros
Load help

  !--error 999
'background' property does not exist for this handle.
at line      46 of function uicontrol called by :
at line     207 of function atomsGui called by :
ms") then atomsGui(); else disp(gettext("
while executing a callback

The error message itself seems garbled!

The next one seems clearer:

-->atomsGui()
 !--error 999
'background' property does not exist for this handle.
at line      46 of function uicontrol called by :
at line     207 of function atomsGui called by :
atomsGui()

The window Main categories - ATOMS  which appears is now empty and
indeed as "dead" as a dodo.

I checked that I have full control over the SCIHOME folder and its contents.

I regularly update the free JAVA which I believe is used by Scilab.

What did I do wrong/missed in installing Scilab-5.4.0?

Any help/info will be appreciated.

Regards,

René.