[Scilab-users] Convert x, y, z data into a z=f(x,y) function

Michael J. McCann mccannscience at comcast.net
Mon Jul 1 13:00:53 CEST 2013

Larisssa,
Now we have a clue. Many years ago I worked on dynamic system models of
fermentation. What I did was to create a differential equation set to
account for the identifiable "species" --- abstract idea which includes
various bio-chemical generic classes -- and running those models and
experimenting it became possible to get a working model, by choosing
parameters.  When that reached its limit, moving on to more complex
models enabled us (me and a micologist) to create a model good enough to
predict the performance of an industrial process.
     In your case I'd start with a very simple model, and I'd expect
that since the growth rate in biomass would initially probably increase
in proportion to the mass present the model would give an exponential
initial rate, then as the algae blocked the light it wanted and the
other key food sources (dissolved oxygen?) were depleted, the rate would
decline. In the work I did in the past we got into the metabolic
pathways and  energy balances with heat and synthesis reaction rates,
but I'd start with something simpler in your case to see how simple a
model would explain the process. I would be a good candidate for a model
in Xcos. You can look into my website
     http://www.mccannscience.com/fermenta.htm
if you are interested.
Mike