[Scilab-users] clc() icon with additional functionality !!?

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Sun Feb 2 13:50:41 CET 2014

Hi Mehran,

Le 02/02/2014 10:05, A Khorshidi a écrit :
> The addition of the clc() icon was a good idea but clearing console by
> using clc() command is quicker than that icon.
Even without the (), it is quicker for me to click the icon. And for
newbies (as students, many students..)
that do not know clc, the icon is explicit. May be are you using a padd
rather than a mouse ;)

> So I decided to change the usage of that icon on my Scilab so that the
> newer one can clear local and global variable as well as clearing
> console.

Are you coming from Matlab? Matlabers and former ones use very often
/clear all/, /close all/  at the beginning of their scripts.
I do not know where this "hygienism" is coming from. clear  is much more
brutal in Scilab
than in Matlab. I never used them in the head of my scripts for 16
years, and i have never had problems for that.
Some students or colleagues knowing a bit or a lot Matlab and this habit
and coming to Scilab keeping the same
have problems with that (but they do not know that this is the reason),
since then libraries (sometimes local, loaded
from ATOMS, etc) are also cleared, etc, and then many things get harder
;) Indeed, embedded Scilab libraries are
automatically restored when first calling one of their functions, but it
is not the case for other external libraries.

So, definitively, i will keep the clear icon as is.

Cheers
Samuel