[Scilab-users] How to get a reguar sampled vector in Scilab

Matiasb matiasb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 20:59:10 CET 2014

I'm trying to program function (or even better it it already exists) in
scilab that calculates a regular timed samples of values. IE: I have a
vector 'values' which defines contains the value of a signal at different
times. This times are in the vector 'times'. So at time times(N), the signal
has value values(N). At the moment the times are not regular, so the
variable 'times' and 'values' can look like:

times = [0, 2, 6, 8, 14]
values= [5, 9, 10, 1, 6]
This represents that the signal had value 5 from second 0 to second 2. Value
9 from second 2 to second 6, etc. Therefore, if I want to calculate the
signal average value I can not just calculate the average of vector
'values'. This is because for example the signal can be for a long time with
the same value, but there will be only one value in the vector. One option
is to take the deltaT to calculate the media, but I will also need to
perform other calculations:average, etc.

Other option is to create a function that given a deltaT, samples the time
and values vectors to produce an equally spaced timeVector and corresponding
values. For example, with deltaT=2 and the previous vectors,

[sampledTime, sampledValues] = regularSample(times, values, 2)
sampledTime = [0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14]
sampledValues = [5, 9, 9, 10, 1, 1, 1, 6]

This is easy if deltaT is small enough to fit exactly with all the times. If
the deltaT is bigger, then the average of values or some aproximation must
be done...

Is there anything already done in Scilab? How can this function be
programmed?

Thanks a lot! PS: I don't know if this is the correct forum to post scilab
questions, so any pointer would also be useful.