[Scilab-users] Obsolete

Calixte Denizet calixte.denizet at scilab-enterprises.com
Fri Jul 18 13:58:34 CEST 2014

Hi Claus,

The power of a matrix is defined for square matrices so since a vector
with size strictly greater than 1 is not a square matrix we decided to
emit a warning in this case.
We took this decision because this "feature" (ie [1 2 3]^2 <==> [1 2
3].^2) was confusing for students.
So if you want to avoid the warning, you should replace v^2 by v.^2 when
v is a vector.

Best regards,

Calixte

On 18/07/2014 12:50, Claus Futtrup wrote:
> Hi there
>
> When I run a script in Scilab 5.4.1 it's OK. When I run the same
> script in Scilab 5.5.0 it displays a message saying something like "
> vector ^ scalar is obsolete, use vector .^ scalar instead" ... or
> something of this kind.
>
> My script executes lines like this a lot (I get many thousand
> messages, in an optimization loop) and I cannot track exactly what's
> causing this message.
>
> Is there anyone who can give me a tip what to look for?
>
> [later]
> P.S. I think the warning message says "qfunction" (a function I've
> defined) and it might be lines like this one, which cause the warning:
> zmin1sim_mag = sqrt(zreal1(ifmin1)^2+zimag1(ifmin1)^2)
>
> So, is it correct that ^2 is obsolete and I should write .^2 instead??
>
> Any reason for this?
>
> Best regards,
> Claus

Calixte Denizet
Software Development Engineer
Scilab Enterprises
143bis rue Yves Le Coz - 78000 Versailles, France
http://www.scilab-enterprises.com