[Scilab-users] Bicycle Dynamics

Dang, Christophe Christophe.Dang at sidel.com
Tue May 13 11:08:49 CEST 2014

Hello,

Lets start with physics:

> I modeled the bicycle as an inverted pendulum. [...]
> <http://mailinglists.scilab.org/file/n4030466/bike-xcos.gif>

I guess this is the bicycle seen from behind (or front, no matter), and that the frame of reference is the bicycle.

> Function between steering angle and turning radius is given by,
> <http://mailinglists.scilab.org/file/n4030466/delta2r.png>

You forgot to define w, delta and phi.

If phi is the adherence angle, then it is a limit is not in the relationship as long as theta <= phi.

The rotational equilibrium in the frame of reference is just
v^2/r/g = tan(theta).

>From what I understand you're trying to do, we don't have the same equation in the end.
So, maybe you should clarify the points above (what is represented, what is the frame of reference, what are the different variables),
to see if I misunderstood something, who is right.

Only then can we go on with the next point: Scilab/Xcos.

Now concerning

> The output of the system came like this for a delta input in the
> steering angle.

You did not specify what you are drawing.
You may think that we can understand from the block diagram you provided.
However, you want to check the consistency with the reality/physical laws, so we must know what you expect to draw.

Regards.

--
Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan
Mechanical calculation engineer