[Scilab-users] Bicycle Dynamics

Michael J. McCann mjmccann at iee.org
Wed May 14 14:48:39 CEST 2014

Note my official Scilab address is via     mjmccann at ieee.org (IEEE in US)
but my email client uses my address     mjmccann at iee.org      (IEE now
IET, in UK)

If you are interested in bicycle dynamics, stability and control you
should look at the special edition of the IEEE Control Systems Magazine,
October 2006, Volume 26 number 5, "Advances in Motorcycle Design and
Control" There are hundreds of references going back to the late 1800s.
Key authors in this journal were Alessandro Beghi and Ruggero Frezza,
also David J. N. Limebeer and Robin S. Sharp. I happened  to keep a copy
for personal interest, but I haven't worked in this field. It's all
there, stability, wobble, weaving, shimmy, stabilization methods and
geometry effects. On page 110 there's a picture of Albert Einstein
turning a corner on a bicycle with his quote, "Life is like riding a
bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving".

Thinking about the problem discussed here in Scilab/Xcos it seems to me
that you are interested in the rotation about the contact line with the
road, that the radius of gyration will be dominated by the height of the
rider's  CG above the road unless it's a motor bike in which case the
mass of the bike could well dominate the analysis and furthermore, since
turning involves rotation about a vertical axis and at high speed, the
wheels can have significant angular momentum (gyroscopic effect) you may
have to consider the angular momentum in 3 space. Good luck.

Mike.
Dr. M.J. McCann,
MJMcCann Consulting