[Scilab-users] Scilab 5.5.0 definitely doesn't work on Windows7 Ultimate 64-bit

Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto fausto_barbuto at yahoo.ca
Fri May 16 16:39:26 CEST 2014

Hi Serge,

Merci pour votre réponse.

Unfortunately, there's not such a "glxinfo" command on my W7 system.  But I checked
the info about the graphics card (an AMD HD 6670) and apparently OpenGL is there
and active (version 6.14.10.12874).  I even updated the driver -- to no avail.  Scilab
5.5.0 keeps crashing.

This is frustrating because I don't remember it ever happening before with Scilab or
any other application.

I don't have to use Scilab, but I like it and would keep it if I could.  But, much to my
regret, it seems that I either go back to a previous Scilab version or quit Scilab
altogether.

Regards,

Fausto

On Friday, May 16, 2014 5:38:27 AM, Serge Montagnac <obs.psr at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>On 05/15/2014 07:06 PM, Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>Neither 32- nor the 64-bit versions of Scilab 5.5.0 seem to like
        this computer and it's
>>64-bit W7 Ultimate OS.  The installs go fine, but when I start
        Scilab up all it does
>>is to flash its GUI for a tenth of a second and then vanishes.
        Task Manager says it's
>>not there either running on the background yet invisible or not
        responding.

>>What could that problem be?  Can anyone help?  Have any of you
        had this problem
>>before?  What other packages not self-contained in the installer
        do I need?  I have
>>Java 8 64-bit, would that be the problem?  Does Scilab generate
        an error log report
>>I could post here/somewhere to get some insight on the problem?
>>
>>Many thanks in advance.
>>
>>Fausto

Hi Fausto,

>I flew away from Microsoft 23 years ago, but I remember that it was
    possible for you to
>open a DOS terminal  ;-))
>
>The reason of your problems is probably an OpenGL configuration
    problem.

>Could you type "glxinfo" without the quotes and post the result of
    this command.

>...if it does not begin like this ... try first to configure
    correctly your graphic card driver
>for OpenGL and direct rendering (DRI or DRI2) compatibility.
>

>[serge at darkstar ~]$ glxinfo
>name of display: :0
>display: :0  screen: 0
>direct rendering: Yes
>server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
>server glx version string: 1.4
>server glx extensions:
>    GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile,
>    GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,
>    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_buffer_age,
>    GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile,
    GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile,
>    GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_EXT_swap_control,
    GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear,
>    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
    GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
>    GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_NV_multisample_coverage,
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
>    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync
>client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
>client glx version string: 1.4
>client glx extensions:
>    GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile,
>    GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,
>

>--
"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."  Linus Torvalds
-------------------------- Serge Montagnac http://www.obs-psr.com obs-psr at orange.fr --------------------------