[Scilab-users] Problem with partial fraction decomposition (dfss)

Serge Steer Serge.Steer at inria.fr
Wed Oct 29 19:25:38 CET 2014

Le 29/10/2014 17:01, Tin Nguyen a écrit :
> Thank you so much, Serge Steer!
> Instead of finding a function like 'residuez' in Matlab, now I need to learn
> many other things. It's not comfortable.
> Hope Scilab will become more convenient for general users like me! :D
Take care that the Matlab function residuez does not produce exactly the
same thing
first the residuez help pages states
"/Numerically, the partial fraction expansion of a ratio of polynomials
is an ill-posed problem. If the denominator polynomial is near a
polynomial with multiple roots, then small changes in the data,
including roundoff errors, can cause arbitrarily large changes in the
resulting poles and residues. You should use state-space (or pole-zero
representations instead. /"
Moreover this function gives you the residual and you have to decide if
some roots are equal or not, to be able to compute the fraction
decomposition and this is not a simple thing to do.

If you  do something like
P=poly(ones(1,6),'x','r') //(x-1)^6
r=roots(P);
clf;plot(real(r),imag(r),'*')
You can observe that the roots are not exactly equal to one but located
on a circle of radius approx %eps^(1/6)~=0.002

As noticed in the residuez help page *the problem is ill-posed*
to be convinced just compute the fraction decomposition of 1/(z-1)^6
using residuez and computing back the fraction
 >> [r,p,k]=residuez(1,poly(ones(1,6)));

 >> [b,a]=residuez(r,p,k)
b =
    1.0e+07 *
   Columns 1 through 4
   -0.5038 + 0.0008i   2.5335 - 0.0041i  -5.0956 + 0.0081i   5.1243 -
0.0081i
   Columns 5 through 6
   -2.5765 + 0.0040i   0.5182 - 0.0008i
a =
     1.0000   -6.0000   15.0000  -20.0000   15.0000   -6.0000 1.0000

*The problem is ill-posed,* *so it should be better to avoid its use* .
What is the problem you want to solve?
Serge Steer