[Scilab-users] Curious about 24 character limitation in Scilab 5/ 6

Jimi Damon jdamon at accesio.com
Fri Apr 24 23:33:31 CEST 2015

Hello,

I am new to Scilab but have a lot of experience with Matlab / Octave and
a number of other languages. I have been gradually adding new languages
( using Swig ) to support the C based APIs that configure our company's
data acquisition products and these have been successful for a large
number of languages : perl, php, octave, matlab, java..etc. Ideally, I
would really like to add Scilab support and my company's hardware to the
list of devices that support Scilab   I recently ran into a problem
while trying to port this to Scilab and that is caused by the this 24
character limitation that Scilab imposes for variable and function names.

I tried doing some background reading about this topic and I was left
with just too many things to explore so I figured I would just ask a
quick question on this message board to see what the status is on this
limitation.

My questions are:

1. Is it true that this is something that is going to be fixed ?

2. Is it going to be fixed before a Scilab 6 has been released ?

3. Is there any guess as to when this might occur either in Scilab 5 or 6 ?

I'm debating whether to just wait this one out, but then on the side I
am considering using more of a Comedi based approach to solving this
problem.  At this moment there is no way to get around the fact that
some of our API functions and variables are greater than 24 characters
in length so recoding our API is not an option.  In such a case we just
wouldn't support Scilab.

Thanks for any information you might have,

-Jimi

--
Jimi Damon
Linux Engineer

--
WARNING - This e-mail or its attachments may contain controlled technical
data or controlled technology within the definition of the International