[Scilab-users] Atoms fail and changing SCIHOME

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Thu Dec 3 19:24:05 CET 2015

Hello,

Le 03/12/2015 17:10, amonmayr at laas.fr a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> We've just discovered that on scilab 5.5.2, atoms is not working on
> our Windows machines:
>
> atomsGUI()
> WARNING: mputl: Cannot open file \\servername\username\[..skipping
> some boring stuff...]\scilab-5.5.2\.atoms\config.
>
> It might be a problem with our setup where the homedir of our users
> are on network shares.
> Many Windows scripts are failing when accessing the files using the
> network path "\\servername\username\..."
> The network shares "\\servername\username" are mapped locally to a
> drive letter "Z:" and usually, changing the path from
> "\\servername\username\..." to "Z:\\..." solves the problem of write
> access.
>
> So here is my question how do I change SCIHOME (to replace
> "\\servername\username\" by "Z:\")?
> I tried, predef, looking in scilab.start, ... but without success.
.
For Scilab on Windows, Scilab uses the environment variable (of the OS)
APPDATA to build SCIHOME, and TMP to build TMPDIR.
The only way to change these Scilab variables is to run Scilab from a
batch file in which the environment variables are priorly set to what
you want for Scilab.

We daily use such a configuration now for years, with Scilab installed
on a shared place on our internal network, and it works.

HTH
Samuel