[Scilab-users] Using GROCER ms_var parameters for forecasting

Eric Dubois grocer.toolbox at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 21:44:19 CET 2015

Dear Brian.

If I have well understood, you want:
- to estimate a ms_var model on a subset of your dataset;
- recover the estimated parameters;
- and calculate the filtered state probabilities on the other part of your
dataset with these parameters.

This can be done:
- the function MSVAR_Filt calculates among other the filetered
probabilities (5th output);
- the function needs among other things the parameters of the model; they
can be recovered from the output tlist of function ms_var; if give it the
name res (with --> res=ms_var(...)): this is the field 'coeff' in the
output tlist (res('coeff') with this example);

But the function MSVAR_Filt also has to be fed with matrices y_hat, x_hat
and z_hat that are matrices derived from the matrix of endogenous and
exogenous variables (see function ms_var to see how it is done).

If you are not too in a hurry, I can write the function that gathers all
these operations within a few weeks.

Éric.