[Scilab-users] Issue when compiling Scilab: "Cannot allocate this quantity of memory"

Nukles nardo85 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 14:01:04 CET 2015

Hi all,

I am facing issues with memory allocation in Scilab after compiling.

I am compiling on a Red Hat on ppc64 (POWER8). The ./configure command (with
several options I am not showing here) runs successfully, but the make all
fails and stops. When it stops, it is stuck at the Scilab command prompt
with this message:

I have investigated a bit, and that error message seems to be called in
buildmacros.sce, when the function stacksize(5000000) is called.

This function is defined in:

 scilab-5.5.1/modules/core/sci_gateway/c/sci_stacksize.c

I found a version of the file at this page:
http://doxygen.scilab.org/master_wg/d5/dfb/sci__stacksize_8c_source.html.
The condition that is FALSE and that triggers the message seems to me to
show up at line 00295.

Inside that file, you see that error is displayed whenever the stacksize
given as input is LARGER than what is returned by the method
get_max_memory_for_scilab_stack() from the class:

scilab-5.5.1/modules/core/src/c/stackinfo.c

Again I found a version online at the following page:
http://doxygen.scilab.org/master_wg/dd/dfb/stackinfo_8h.html#afbd65a57df45bed9445a7393a4558395
The Method is declared from line 109.

It seems to invoke a variable called MAXLONG, which is however NEVER
explicitly declared! As you see, it is declared several times (line 00019,
00035, 00043, 00050), but all lines are commented!

So my guess is: MAXLONG is not declared, so the function does not return a
value (or it returns 0) and therefore the error message is triggered because
the stacksize given as input is higher than 0 or NULL or N/A.

My questions are then:

 - Why are all lines commented where MAXLONG is defined?
 - Where does MAXLONG originate from? Is it something passed from the
kernel?
 - How can I solve the problem?

Thanks!

PS - I tried to uncomment the line in buildmacros, and it compiled and
installed without issues. However, when I started scilab-cli, it displayed
the message again.