[Scilab-users] root object: get(0)

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Mon Dec 5 14:04:15 CET 2016

Le 05/12/2016 à 13:50, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :
> Le 05/12/2016 13:15, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
>> I didn't know.. but using the same handle for the console and the
>> root window is very misleading to me. Scilab is full of misleading
>> stuff like this...
>
> Right. Already, this get(0) object is named "Console" while its
> available properties are all about the screen device ;)
> IMO,
Thank you Samuel. This is necessary to be stringent about this kind of
stuff. Scilab is suffering of this kind of approximative "modeling"
since the migration old graphics->new graphics. But who cares ? Most of
us are handymen and sometimes propose working-but-incoherent stuff which
is nevertheless validated by SE. This is a pity...

S.

>   * the true root should rather be either the screen or the IDE or the
>     "system" as addressed with getsystemmetrics(). In all cases, the
>     "Console" would already be one of its children.
>   * the true console properties would rather be:
>       o its sizes : lines(),
>       o its background color
>       o its font_family
>       o its font_color
>       o its font_size
>       o its menus
>       o its toolbar status
>       o its toolbar contents, one child per tool:
>           + icon
>           + callback
>       o the text of its status bar
>       o ...
>

> A short dream during the nap:
>
>   * rename the get(0) object "System" (likely in %h_p())
>   * make all properties addressed with getsystemmetrics() properties
>     of get(0)
>
> SG

Département de Génie Informatique
Université de Technologie de Compiègne -  CS 60319
60203 Compiègne cedex