[Scilab-users] The overloading code for functions is changed in Scilab 6

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Mon Dec 19 08:41:20 CET 2016

Hello all,

It seems that the overloading code ascribed to the Scilab function type
is not the same in Scilab 6 than in Scilab 5:

*in Scilab 5:*
[sind sind]
function %mc_c_mc(a,b), disp("code is mc"), endfunction
[sind sind]

-->[sind sind]
         !--error 144
Undefined operation for the given operands.
check or define function %*mc*_c_*mc* for overloading.

-->function %*mc*_c_*mc*(a,b), disp("code is ""mc"""), endfunction

-->[sind sind]
  code is ""mc""

*in Scilab 6:*
--> [sind sind]

Undefined operation for the given operands.
check or define function %*function*_c_*function* for overloading.

--> function %*mc*_c_*mc*(a,b), disp("code is mc"), endfunction

--> [sind sind]    // mc does not work. This is not just a bad error
message:

Undefined operation for the given operands.
check or define function %function_c_function for overloading.

--> function %function_c_function(a,b), disp("code is ""function"""),
endfunction

--> [sind sind]

  code is "function"
  ans  =
     []

I have not tested all operators, but at least this is also the case for
the vertical concatenation [;].
It this change intentional? It is not documented.

I am wondering why -- if back-compatibility is not an issue -- other
changes more expected are not done for Scilab 6 as well?

Best regards
Samuel Gougeon