[Scilab-users] Scilab (5.5.2) and proxy settings

Lester Anderson arctica1963 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:02:53 CET 2016

Hello

At the moment the only way I can install additional modules is in
"offline" mode.

Tried all the usual routes for proxy settings but the program will not
find the default proxy in place, even though other applications will
do (without manually setting the values). Tested with the free GIS
program QGIS to verify.

The following fails to get access to the atoms online repository:

atomsSetConfig('offline','False')
atomsSetConfig('useProxy','True')
atomsSetConfig('proxyHost',' IP address')
atomsSetConfig('proxyPort','port value')

Similarly setting the proxy 'on' in the preferences does not work.
Note: there is no username/password to apply, and even if those were
entered it still does not work through the proxy.

Attempting to access the repository would give this error:

gzip: C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\SCCDAC~1\ATOMS~1\1_TOOLBOXES.gz: not !
!     in gzip format
          !
WARNING: atomsDESCRIPTIONget: Extraction of the DESCRIPTION file
('C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\SCCDAC~1\ATOMS~1\1_TOOLBOXES.gz')
has failed.
Scanning repository http://atoms.scilab.org/5.5 ... Skipped

The preferences are setb to use the default web browser and therefore
it would also follow the default proxy, I would have thought.

Now, this is not a big problem as one can install modules offline, but
it is hard to know why the program cannot find the proxy details
automatically. I have also checked with some IT guys and they also
confirm that the proxy settings are correct and so all should be fine.

Be interested to see what the experts say on this point.