[Scilab-users] matrix of combinations

scilab.20.browseruk at xoxy.net scilab.20.browseruk at xoxy.net
Fri Jun 10 09:14:41 CEST 2016

What are you going to do with this data once you've produced it?

If you are not going to use it straight away, then you would have to store it to disk, in which case there is no point in filling memory prior to writing it all out; just do one row at a time.

Conversely, if you are going to use it in the same run, do you actually need it all at any given time?

In many (even most) cases, depending how you are using the data, it is better to produce some subset -- say one row or other subdivision -- then use it, before discarding and looping back to produce the next subset.

If your application for this data is, or can be made to be, conducive to being subsetted this way, the effects on runtime can be dramatic.
(Once recent application fell from 2 weeks to less than 12 hours.)

Just food for thought.

Buk

exclusive)