[Scilab-users] [Scilab-Dev] Scilab release frequency ?

Claus Futtrup cfuttrup at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 16:18:45 CEST 2017

Hi,

My thoughts on releases. I agree that releases have been incredibly
slow, but haven't spent time bickering about it. Instead, I'm pleased
when releases are finally here. I've wondered about the organization(s)
behind Scilab. It seems we get a new release every time Scilab is
reorganized in some way ... and that there's lots of political stuff
going on.

I hope that the Scilab 6 milestone means that Scilab (as in the software
itself) is organized in a way suitable for the next many years. Hereby I
imply that any 6.X release only has to reflect incremental (and
preferably backwards compatible) improvements.

Personally I consider "nightly builds" to be bleeding edge, for
developers, and not something I can use for my development - just as I
cannot distribute Scilab code and reference a nightly-build version of
Scilab to whoever might be interested.

 >each publication needs or deserves some specific tasks that take time

Yes, typically minimized by writing a developer-oriented "how-to"
release (aka to-do list).

IMHO regarding release frequency, the second-most important reason to
release is so that the project appears alive and not dead.

Best regards,
Claus