[Scilab-users] Modelling dynamic systems with real world data

tim at wescottdesign.com tim at wescottdesign.com
Wed Apr 12 18:02:19 CEST 2017

I strongly suspect that anything that would be useful would be specific
to batteries, and would perhaps be best done in batch mode to generate a
model that is then hand-tweaked and selected for use in xcos -- but I
say that in part because over the years I've come to dislike graphical
solvers.

I think it's possible to build a subsystem out of blocks that can be
"masked" so that you can enter parameters in the usual way -- if you
could boil your battery model down so that it had a few parameters, you
could translate your measured data into parameters once, then use
parameterized blocks for the battery behavior.

On 2017-04-12 07:49, phillip mobley wrote:

> Sure thing Tim,
>
> Thank you for pointing out those details. I will share as much as I can.
>
> I am simulating the behavior of a battery as it is discharging into a circuit. I recorded data from the battery (for example, the voltage and current and internal resistance) during testing. I currently have the data at different time steps inside of an excel file.
>
> I would like to test this battery under different circuit configurations. However, changing the circuit can be time consuming and expensive. I was thinking that I could use xcos ability to do circuit simulation to construct a basic model of the battery that I am using that utilizes the data that I gathered. This way I can simulation the battery under different circuit configurations very easily.
>
> So I was wondering if there was a way that I could import my data into xcos to construct a model for simulation.
>
> I actually created the system to simulate the battery.
>
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Tim Wescott <tim at wescottdesign.com> wrote:
>
>> "Simulate the data"?
>>
>> Surely you mean you wish to simulate the system which was used in the
>> measurement!
>>
>> You don't give much detail, but I suspect that what you want to do is
>> to develop a model of the system that fits the experiment, and then use
>> that model in your simulations.
>>
>> The general term for generating the model is called "system
>> identification", but that covers a pretty broad swath.
>>
>> Can you share the test you did, the sort of data you collected, the
>> sort of system you're trying to model, and how well you know the system
>> itself?
>>
>> On Tue, 2017-04-11 at 15:10 -0400, phillip mobley wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have some data from a test that I preformed. I was looking to
>>> simulate this data under different conditions and I was wondering if
>>> there is a palette in xcos that would allow me to input data (maybe
>>> from an excel spreadsheet or copy paste) in order to use in the
>>> simulation?
>>>
>>> Is this possible with xcos? > _______________________________________________
>>> users mailing list
>>> users at lists.scilab.org
>> --
>>
>> Tim Wescott
>> www.wescottdesign.com [2]
>> Control & Communications systems, circuit & software design.
>> Phone: 503.631.7815 [3]
>> Cell:  503.349.8432 [4]

Links:
------