[Scilab-users] Scilab 6 Release

Clément David clement.david at scilab-enterprises.com
Mon Feb 20 10:27:48 CET 2017

Hi Mehran,

> We all know it wasn't as easy as it looked. So my warmest thanks to all the
> folks who engaged to make Scilab fresher and stronger.
> I wanna take my hat off to them all right here. :-)

Thanks for clarifying things :), indeed it was not easy to replicate behaviors implemented 20 (and
more) years ago ! Hopefully the interpreter code is much more understandable right now and newcomers
can get into it in less than a week (as GSoC students does) !

> I was wondering what happened to the object-oriented programming paradigm
> which has been promised for Scilab 6?

Well, the 6.0 family target a Scilab 5 compatibility without "visible" language improvements ; the
object-oriented paradigm hasn't been added yet and we still need more concrete advantages for the
Scilab language to define it !

Especially, function visibility (in modules and function scopes) is IMHO more needed than class
definition. We wrapped successfully Java objects without syntax addition and any user can add
javascript or python object-like implementation where `this` would be an `mlist("myclass" ...)`
value [1]. If you have some specific need on it, do not hesitate to describe it on dev at lists.scilab.
org and we can start/iterate on the implementation.

Thanks,

[1]: https://wiki.scilab.org/Emulate%20Object%20Oriented%20in%20Scilab

--
Clément