[Scilab-users] Matlab vs Scilab perf

Pierre Vuillemin contact at pierre-vuillemin.fr
Thu Mar 2 22:12:46 CET 2017

My 2 cents,

I think that the main advantage of Scilab/Octave/Matlab in comparison to
other environments is that they gather various tools in a (somewhat)
coherent bundle. I think that most users won't need to look for another
library to do what they want as the most common features are already in
the environment.

Python does it too with Scipy, but in some domains (e.g. control theory,
simulink), the features offered by python are far behind what can be
done in Matlab (and to a lesser extent in Scilab).
Besides, Python being a general programming language, some operations
feels less natural than with Scilab/Octave/Matlab. For instance, I feel
that linear algebra quickly becomes unreadable in Python: A*B*C becoming
A.dot(B.dot(C)) or A @ B @ C ....
Conversely, Python outshines Scilab/Octave/Matlab in many other areas.

Concerning speed, while I agree that this is often not that important,
the Julia Language has demonstrated that it is not necessarily
unreachable for a "high level language". I guess it mainly relies on the
performance of the JIT compiler at some point.
I remember reading that Scilab 6 should have a JIT compiler, but I might
be mistaken?

Also, I am not convinced that Scilab/Octave/Matlab are limited only to
prototype small algorithms/projects. The main reason being that a lot of
people won't port their codes to a compiled language because it
represents way to much work...

Pierre