[Scilab-users] Xcos - simulation problem with Backlash block

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Tue Mar 21 22:04:12 CET 2017

Can you post the Xcos file that causes the problem?

Backlash is very difficult to simulate.  The problem is what is known
as "stiff", meaning that there are places in the state space where the
linearized system suddenly changes its characteristics dramatically
over a small change in the values of the states.  In the case of
backlash, this happens when the backlash is taken up, and the output
suddenly starts moving in response to the input, where before it was
not connected.

This is a difficult problem for solvers -- hence, your solution is
taking more time.

I'd try all of the solvers available, and see if one works better than
another.  I'd start with the ones that have "BDF" in their names.  You
can choose the solver by clicking Simulation -> setup -> Solver kind.