[Scilab-users] xclick bug on Mac OS ?

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Tue Oct 31 14:33:39 CET 2017

Le 31/10/2017 à 13:53, philippe a écrit :
> Le 31/10/2017 à 11:23, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :
>> Hello Philippe,
>>
>> Le 31/10/2017 à 10:58, philippe a écrit :
>>> Even reporting duplicates of already existing bugs
>>> can help to improve scilab ...
>> Sorry, but i strongly disagree with this last assertion.
> probably this last assertion was blundering :-( I want to encourage
> users reporting bugs but not to spam of course. Unfortunately for
> beginners it is hard  to clearly identify if a bug is already reported
> or not (I made a lot of duplicates while starting reporting bugs) so we
> have to accept that new users  make such errors if we want that more
> persons get involved.

The search engine of bugzilla is powerful and easy to use. It is normal
to expect from any user
to take care when targeting and describing things. Moreover, it is even
easier and gets trivial
to get the list of bugs already reported about an item from Scilab 5.5
and 6 with
--> uman <item> wb

The point that slows down improving Scilab is NOT missing reports. It is
missing contributions.
The first elemental contribution is to take care when reporting bugs.
When it is not easy to know, the first step is to post questions on the
mailing list, to be
sure that the issue is not in one's own code rather than in Scilab.
Bugzilla is not a forum.

An easy way to get involved is to answer to bugs, possibly in the day,
rather than
asking to the poster "Hey, could you post a minimal test case?".. 6
months after he/she posted.
It would be actually very great to increase this kind of involvement!
But still, Bugzilla is not a forum.

When encouraging to post on bugzilla without really encouraging fixing
bugs or
answering to posters mainly increases frustrations of posters, or/and
enforces the
feeling that we can get something for free without doing  anything else
than vaguely
complaining. This is just the opposite of  involvement.
About frustration, please see the relevant post from Ross, to which i
answered in link.

So yes, thanks to every user to get involved!

Best regards
Samuel