[Scilab-users] Scilab 6 crashes all the time

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Sun Jan 28 22:11:20 CET 2018

Hello Claus,

Thank you for telling things as they are. I experiment the same
situation now for 2 years, on Windows 7 64 bits. It got a bit better
with the official 6.0.0 release than with the nightly built a few days
before the release, but it is still very unstable. With the pending
6.0.1 as well (or bad).

I noticed that crashes are somewhat systematic when a bunch of
instructions are echoed in the console (copy/pasting, or exec with echo
from Scinotes), while executing the same instructions in a script in
silent mode more often passes without crashing.

As far as i remember, after the awful 5.4.0 first version that yielded
and sent an ocean of Java exceptions in the console, you succeeded in
convincing the OP team to display exceptions elsewhere. In the hard
meanwhile, i can say that Scilab was abandoned in some high schools of
engineering for teaching, because it was just an unsustainable
situation, and system administrators have many things to do out of
testing how to overcome such aberration. This was an excellent publicity
for Matlab (if it needed some), and a very efficient way to ruin efforts
to highlight Scilab vs other comparable softwares.

Let's bet that you will be heard again :)

Regards
Samuel