[Scilab-users] Installing Scilab under Linux (Mint / aka Ubuntu)

Claus Futtrup cfuttrup at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:44:44 CEST 2018

Hi there

I've installed Linux Mint 19 (MATE) and installing Scilab using the
Software Manager doesn't work. I cannot get the GUI to show up (CLI
works fine). There are several bug reports out there, but AFAIK no
remedy. P.S. Upon first installation I did check and see that the GUI
worked, but it never worked since and uninstalling + installing (incl.
the CLI, and BTW also including reboots) doesn't work.

Therefore I decided to download the Linux 64-bit package from scilab.org
... when unpacked, I see there's not an installer ... but as the README
says, launching ./bin/scilab gives me the GUI (yaayh!)

The question is - from unpacking the software, how am I supposed to
install this already compiled scilab in my Linux? ... Am I supposed to
leave it in my /home directory? ... Sorry for my lack of knowledge here.
I hope for some kind help.

Best regards,

Claus

---