[Scilab-users] Installing Scilab under Linux (Mint / aka Ubuntu)

amonmayr at laas.fr amonmayr at laas.fr
Thu Jul 26 08:39:33 CEST 2018

Hello Claus,

Le 25/07/2018 à 20:01, Claus Futtrup a écrit :
> Hi Antoine and Nikolay
>
> Thank you for your help. I see that the easiest way is, as Antoine
> wrote, to execute a shell and execute scilab from the shell (and for
> sure, keep the shell open).
Well, the best solution I found is to use a dropdown terminal (like
yakuake for example): pressing F12 the terminal appears/disappears. This
way, I never have to close it and it stays open with a bunch tabs with
the most common command line applications I use.

> I tried to create a desktop "launcher" in Linux Mint, executing a
> scilab.sh script and containing 'nohup scilab.sh & disown' ... to
> release scilab from the terminal, but at no luck.
Well, I think the .desktop approach is the best one here.
You can also try to use a command launcher: with the Ubuntu I use
(16.04), I have Alt+F2 that opens a proper command launcher and I can
run any command line app. Note that it differs from pressing the Windows
key that will only launch applications that have a corresponding
*.desktop file.

> I also tried to follow advice from askubuntu (below), including
> creating desktop files, etc. (see near the bottom), but still no luck.
I don't see your attempt here.
If you installed scilab from the repos, you should have a *.desktop file
to tinker with in order to call your up-to-date scilab instead of the
repo one.
On my system the desktop files of the repos applications are here:

     /usr/share/app-install/desktop/scilab:scilab.desktop
     /usr/share/applications/scilab.desktop

while I put the one of the applications I installed by hand  here:

     ~/.local/share/applications/

Hope it helps,

Antoine

> Best regards,
> Claus
>
> On 25.07.2018 15:40, Nikolay Strelkov wrote:
>> Dear Claus!
>>
>> As a temporarily fix you can read this solution on AskUbuntu -
>> https://askubuntu.com/a/1029164/66509
>> <https://askubuntu.com/a/1029164/66509> . I have tested it. Unpacking
>> to home folder works as expected (and as before).
>>
>> Dear Scilab developers!
>>
>> As long-time Scilab user I can't completely understand how this may
>> happen. Please take a look to the mentioned bugs in the linked answer
>> above and make real actions to fix these problems. Scilab is
>> completely broken in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (so without real actions it
>> will be broken until 2023) and does not work on development version
>> 18.10 too. Also it does not work on Debian 10. Please contact Debian
>> and/or Ubuntu maintainers directly.
>>
>> Scilab is very often used in educational purposes. For example we use
>> it on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in our university to teach students.
>> It will be very bad if we lose such a convenient and useful
>> software-tool.
>>
>> ---
>> /With best regards,
>> Ph.D., //associate professor at MPEI
>> <http://mpei.ru/lang/en/Pages/default.aspx>,
>> IEEE member,
>> maintainer of Mathieu functions toolbox for Scilab
>> <http://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/Mathieu/>,
>> Nikolay Strelkov./

>> <mailto:cfuttrup at gmail.com>>:
>>
>>     Hi there
>>
>>     I've installed Linux Mint 19 (MATE) and installing Scilab using
>>     the Software Manager doesn't work. I cannot get the GUI to show
>>     up (CLI works fine). There are several bug reports out there, but
>>     AFAIK no remedy. P.S. Upon first installation I did check and see
>>     that the GUI worked, but it never worked since and uninstalling +
>>     installing (incl. the CLI, and BTW also including reboots)
>>     doesn't work.
>>
>>     Therefore I decided to download the Linux 64-bit package from
>>     scilab.org <http://scilab.org> ... when unpacked, I see there's
>>     not an installer ... but as the README says, launching
>>     ./bin/scilab gives me the GUI (yaayh!)
>>
>>     The question is - from unpacking the software, how am I supposed
>>     to install this already compiled scilab in my Linux? ... Am I
>>     supposed to leave it in my /home directory? ... Sorry for my lack
>>     of knowledge here. I hope for some kind help.
>>
>>     Best regards,
>>
>>     Claus
>>

>>     ---

> Avast logo <https://www.avast.com/antivirus>