[Scilab-users] {EXT} Re: Empty matrix

Dang Ngoc Chan, Christophe Christophe.Dang at sidel.com
Mon Jun 11 10:11:06 CEST 2018

Hello,

Thanks for this reference. It can be found here:
https://haddad.gatech.edu/journal/00277245.pdf

Some quotations:

"The elegance afforded by the empty matrix approach can
potentially be exploited to great advantage in the context of
large-scale software development. Indeed, the traditional approach
to special cases one must include in the software explicit
checks for special cases along with appropriate provisions for
each special case. This would be done for each matrix formula
implemented in the software with potential for special cases of
the type described above. Using the empty matrix approach, one
would simply introduce the empty matrix as an object, or data
type, and then code its algebraic realization. This would be done
only once. Subsequent code would then be devoid of cumbersome
explicit checks and provisions for special cases of the type
described above."

" Additionally,
the examples are used to show how the empty matrix concept
can be utilized to transparently handle static and/or single
vector input, single vector output (SVISVO) systems within the
more general context of dynamic, two vector input, two vector
output (TVITVO) systems"

So, it seems that having a correct algebraic handling of the empty matrixes
could be of great interest for some users.

I might post a wish on Bugzilla but not right now,
so if someone else is willing to do this...

--
Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan
Mechanical calculation engineer