[Scilab-users] Is cond([]) 0 or 1 ? (bug 15579)

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Mon May 28 00:09:10 CEST 2018

Le 27/05/2018 à 23:49, Rafael Guerra a écrit :

> You guys may have missed the paper sent before on the algebra of empty
> matrices by Carl de Boor (Emeritus Professor in Mathematics and
> Computer Science), so I am sending it again:
>
> https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0f3b/c36f19d5c6a761c19fbc3c4ebde2f31b0a10.pdf
>
> He argues that the condition number of the square empty matrix [] = 0
> and its det([]) = 1

No no, i did not miss it. His argument is that norm([]) is 0:

/Any norm of an empty matrix is zero, as the supremum of the empty set
of nonnegative numbers. This implies that the condition number of the
square empty matrix [] is 0./

This does not prevent asking to Philippe why he proposes 1, noticeably
if he also considers that norm([])==0, or not.

The De Boor argument "/as the supremum of the empty set of nonnegative
numbers."/ is not clear to me./

/Is it clear for you? Would you have a second convergent independent
reference?

Samuel