[Scilab-users] [Scilab-Dev] algebra conventions with integer types to be discussed

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Wed Sep 19 10:24:16 CEST 2018

Le 19/09/2018 à 09:03, amonmayr at laas.fr a écrit :
> Le 18/09/2018 à 20:53, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
>> Hello Philippe,
>>
>> Great to hear from you,

>>> it's a new feature, I would have like to use it  before ... I've build
>>> my own solution and now I just need time replace it with int64.
>>>
>>> For mixed int/double expression I expect to get the best floating point
>>> approximation as a result.
>> and for int/int ?
> For me, this should be int, to be consistent with most of the
> languages I use.
Can you precise the languages (besides C and C++) ?
> So 3.0/4.0=0.75 but 3/4=0.
> But maybe getting a rational would make more sense?
Here are some links to interesting discussions to help getting one :

https://docs.julialang.org/en/v0.6.1/manual/conversion-and-promotion/
https://fr.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/18222-arithmetic-promotion-floating-point-to-integer
https://fr.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/36773-why-float-no-become-integer
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2425251/how-do-i-get-real-integer-overflows-in-matlab-octave/2430278#2430278