[Scilab-users] feedback on removing 1 row and 1 column

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Tue Apr 30 09:05:23 CEST 2019

Le 30/04/2019 à 08:44, Carrico, Paul a écrit :

> Dear All
>
> I’ve been using successfully Scilab for years, to develop my projects;
> I do not remember if I’ve ever had to deal with huge matrixes but
> that’s the case today.
>
> Using “csvRead”, I got a matrix with 2.3 million of rows and 6 columns
> (it took about 240 seconds to read it J); nevertheless I’ve been
> surprised when I tried to remove the first row and the last column
> using basically:

This one is quasi instantaneous, although it needs to move all the
variable content in memory

> MAT(1,:) = [];

But this stucks Scilab, you are right:

> MAT(:,$) = [];

athough it should the faster of both (large number of rows but no copy
needed, trim the block in memory should be enough).

@Samuel: I think we already have something similar signaled in Bugzilla

S.

> Indeed I needed to kill the process after about 10 minutes (same
> result both under Windows 10 and Linux – RAM not fully used).
>
> By comparison, the same process is instantaneous under Python using
> Numpy (numpy.delete) using of course the same matrix.
>
> A feedback I wanted to share ….
>
> PaulEXPORT CONTROL :
>
> « Cet email ne contient pas de données techniques »
>
> « This email does not contain technical data »

Stéphane Mottelet
Ingénieur de recherche
CS 60319, 60203 Compiègne cedex
Tel : +33(0)344234688