[Scilab-users] Run Scilab 6.0.2 on OSX Catalina

Stéphane Mottelet stephane.mottelet at utc.fr
Tue Dec 3 16:53:48 CET 2019

Hello,

In fact the enableJDK script is needed if the JDK is of Oracle brand. If
you install a JDK from OpenJDK, e.g.

https://adoptopenjdk.net/

the JNI and BundleApp entries are already present in the Info.plist, and
the script is useless.

Le 02/12/2019 à 06:43, Chin Luh Tan a écrit :
> Hi Stephane,
>
> Just to add-on, this script also works on previous version of MacOS,
> tested for High Sierra, it make Scilab works with latest version of
> Java. On top of that, I notice that it also fix the issue of the hdf5
> dependency for the IPCV module, do you have the summary on what the
> fixes implemented?

hdf5 stuff is completely independent from Java, so I don't understand why.
> [...]
>
>                 >
>                 >
>                 > This application automates the fix we already
>                 discussed in this ML. If
>                 > I summarize the necessary steps to run Scilab under
>                 Catalina, you have
>                 > to:
>                 >
>                 > 1-download and install a JDK (not a JRE), e.g.
>                 >
>                 https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
>                 <https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html>
>
>                 > (more recent versions should also work, tests are
>                 welcome...)
>                 >
>                 > 2-download and run the enableJDK script (you will
>                 have to allow its
>                 > execution in system preferencences)
>                 >
>                 > The fix provided by enableJDK is neither specific to
>                 Scilab nor
>                 > specific to OSX Catalina. It will allow any
>                 application using Java
>                 > thru JNI to run with your current JDK, without
>                 having to use the Apple
>                 > legacy/obsolete Java 6
>                 >
>                 (https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/support.apple.com/kb/dl1572
>                 <https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/support.apple.com/kb/dl1572>).
>                 >
>                 > Enjoy !
>                 >
>                 --
>                 Stéphane Mottelet
>                 Ingénieur de recherche
>                 EA 4297 Transformations Intégrées de la Matière
>                 Renouvelable
>                 Département Génie des Procédés Industriels
>                 Sorbonne Universités - Université de Technologie de
>                 Compiègne
>                 CS 60319, 60203 Compiègne cedex
>                 Tel : +33(0)344234688
>                 http://www.utc.fr/~mottelet
>                 <https://antispam.utc.fr/proxy/2/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/antispam.utc.fr/proxy/1/c3RlcGhhbmUubW90dGVsZXRAdXRjLmZy/www.utc.fr/~mottelet>

>         --
>         Stéphane Mottelet
>         Ingénieur de recherche
>         EA 4297 Transformations Intégrées de la Matière Renouvelable
>         Département Génie des Procédés Industriels
>         Sorbonne Universités - Université de Technologie de Compiègne

Stéphane Mottelet
Ingénieur de recherche