[Scilab-users] Behavior of gettext

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Mon Mar 4 18:29:39 CET 2019

Hello Federico,

Le 04/03/2019 à 05:58, Federico Miyara a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to understand the way the localizing function gettext
> works. For instance,
>
> setlanguage('es')     // Set Spanish as session language
> gettext("%s: Wrong number of input arguments.\n")
>
> produces the expected result:
>
> %s: Número incorrecto de argumentos de entrada.\n
>
> But
>
> gettext("Wrong number of input arguments.")
>
> returns the original English version
>
> Wrong number of input arguments.
>
> Are the elements %s and \n part of the indexed string?

Yes. The string provided to gettext() is an identifier. So changing any
single character of it then refers to another message.

You might have already had a look at the gettext page:
https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.2/en_US/gettext.html

> How can I get a list of indexed strings?

The most frequent ones are newly listed in
--> help error_table

https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.2/en_US/error_table.html
For an exhaustive list, please

  * Download and unzip the source code :
    https://www.scilab.org/previous-scilab-versions
  * In your OS file browser, from the root directory of the source tree,
    select all *.pot files (roughtly 1 hundred of files)
  * Edit *.pot files. They are unformatted text files. Each one gathers
    all gettext messages identifiers for a native Scilab module.

Hope This Helps

Samuel