[Scilab-users] Behavior of gettext

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Wed Mar 6 00:56:23 CET 2019

Dear Samuel,

Thank you very much. I had read the gettext help but it is not as clear
as it should, it was not clear for me if the indexed strings were the
complete error message including the formatting details or the plain
English version within it. Now it is more clear. What is still not
cleaer is if the only use of getttext is to localize errore messages or
it is possible to localize a GUI without formatting.

Regards,

Federico Miyara

On 04/03/2019 14:29, Samuel Gougeon wrote:
> Hello Federico,
>

> Le 04/03/2019 à 05:58, Federico Miyara a écrit :
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm trying to understand the way the localizing function gettext
>> works. For instance,
>>
>> setlanguage('es')     // Set Spanish as session language
>> gettext("%s: Wrong number of input arguments.\n")
>>
>> produces the expected result:
>>
>> %s: Número incorrecto de argumentos de entrada.\n
>>
>> But
>>
>> gettext("Wrong number of input arguments.")
>>
>> returns the original English version
>>
>> Wrong number of input arguments.
>>
>> Are the elements %s and \n part of the indexed string?
>
> Yes. The string provided to gettext() is an identifier. So changing
> any single character of it then refers to another message.
>
> You might have already had a look at the gettext page:
> https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.2/en_US/gettext.html
>

>> How can I get a list of indexed strings?
>
> The most frequent ones are newly listed in
> --> help error_table
>
> https://help.scilab.org/docs/6.0.2/en_US/error_table.html
> For an exhaustive list, please
>
>   * Download and unzip the source code :
>     https://www.scilab.org/previous-scilab-versions
>   * In your OS file browser, from the root directory of the source
>     tree, select all *.pot files (roughtly 1 hundred of files)
>   * Edit *.pot files. They are unformatted text files. Each one
>     gathers all gettext messages identifiers for a native Scilab module.
>

> Hope This Helps
>
> Samuel

---