[Scilab-users] Behavior of gettext

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Tue Mar 12 21:31:31 CET 2019

Dear All,

I try to get this error message translated:

msprintf(gettext("%s: Argument #%d: Vector expected.\n"), "bandfilter", 1)

Any idea of what's wrong?

This one works fine:

msprintf(gettext("%s: Wrong number of input arguments: %d to %d
expected.\n"), "bandfilter", 2, 4)

Both messages were taken from the error_table documentation.

Federico Miyara

On 06/03/2019 18:02, Samuel Gougeon wrote:
> Le 06/03/2019 à 00:56, Federico Miyara a écrit :
>>
>> Dear Samuel,
>>
>> Thank you very much. I had read the gettext help but it is not as
>> clear as it should, it was not clear for me if the indexed strings
>> were the complete error message including the formatting details or
>> the plain English version within it. Now it is more clear. What is
>> still not cleaer is if the only use of getttext is to localize errore
>> messages or it is possible to localize a GUI without formatting.
>
> gettext() is used to register and translate any message: warnings,
> menus, titles, etc etc. Whatever you want. Just edit .pot files : The
> sources files where the messages are registered (so gettext("...") is
> called) are all indicated, in Scilab files, in files in C, C++..

---