[Scilab-users] Behavior of gettext

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Wed Mar 13 01:19:05 CET 2019

Le 12/03/2019 à 21:31, Federico Miyara a écrit :

> Dear All,
>
> I try to get this error message translated:
>
> msprintf(gettext("%s: Argument #%d: Vector expected.\n"), "bandfilter", 1)
>
> Any idea of what's wrong?

The long historical form is
gettext("%s: Wrong size for argument #%d: Vector expected.\n")

When some students or colleagues ask me for help, i have noticed that
quite often they did not really read the error message, and i wondered why.
Often, IMO error messages are uselessly verbosy. This is why i proposed
a series of shorter, more straightforward, and more orthogonal ones.

Samuel