[Scilab-users] QUESTION

Federico Miyara fmiyara at fceia.unr.edu.ar
Wed Nov 13 22:31:13 CET 2019

Wofai, Chinagorom, Apebo,

This is my answer to your three very similar questions:

The most striking advantage is that Scilab is free (in both senses) and
open source, and this goes along with a superb support system where many
users and even developers can help you with almost no delay. You can
easily report and discuss bugs, propose new features or improvements
with the confidence that if your proposal is reasonble and interesting,
you'll be heard. And if you are knowledgeable at application
programming, you can even become a developer. You'll never have this
opportunity in Matlab without becoming an employee and signing heavily
restrictive non-disclosure agreements.

You'll never experience with Scilab what many of former Matlab users
have suffered or will eventually suffer: a nasty notice that the license
is about to expire.

Another valuable feature is how it handles strings. In Matlab a string
is an ASCII vector, so you can compare "hello" with "world" to conclude
they are different but you cannot compare "hello" with "Lucy" because in
this case they are vectors of different length and you get an error
message. In Scilab you can compare a word with a novel since both are
scalar strings, a type in its own right.

There are many other advantages, such as being natively multi platform.
Discovering them is fun, I promise.

Regards,

Federico Miyara